There are many folk stories and anecdotes related to this shrine, such as the waka poem by Kino Tsurayuki, and the story of a filial lieutenant general, which was introduced in "The Pillow Book" by Sei Shonagon.
Kino Tsurayuki made a waka poem to ask for the deity's forgiveness about 1100 years ago.
Sei Shonagon wrote an essay about the story of Aritoshi Shrine in her famous book, Makura no soshi "The Pillow Book."
1.The Great Noh master, Zeami, who was an exclusive Noh performer for Shogunate, wrote a Yokyoku (song for Noh play), titled "Aridoshi."
2.The shrine was destroyed when the famous warlord, Oda Nobunaga, attacked Saiga, but later it was rebuilt by Toyotomi Hideyori.
This area as well as the shrine was included in the territory of Kishiwada Domain in 1640.
The lord of Kishiwada Domain patronized Aritoshi Shrine as an important shrine to pray for rain.
Shrine structures, such as the main hall, Kagura dance hall, and the votive tablet hall, were donated by the lord.
1.Meiji: Sofukuin Temple, a Miyaji temple (an affiliated temple) of Aritoshi Shrine was abandoned due to the national government's policy of "Separation of Shinto and Buddhism."
2.Taisho: in 1917, the rank of the shrine was raised to "Gosha" from "Sonsha."